The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) Party is the party for liberal democrat values in Europe.
Together with their liberal member parties across the European continent they represent the principle of freedom in politics and push strong economic policy. The ALDE Party provides an increasingly vital link between citizens and the EU institutions and is continuously growing in size and significance.
Currently they are made up of more than 60 member parties across Europe.
The ALDE parliamentary group is led by Guy Verhofstadt, a former Prime Minister of Belgium and continues to push to the forefront of European politics.
The ALDE group had a clear idea of what they wanted to achieve by rolling out political technology to its member parties across Europe. They wanted to:
- Manage & scale voter outreach.
- Increase the number of candidates elected from their affiliated national parties.
- Put in place solid digital infrastructure which will help build a grassroots network and core support across Europe
Use & Implementation of Ecanvasser
Initially, ALDE made the Ecanvasser campaign tool available to all sixty parties affiliated with the Alliance. Seven constituent parties have already advanced to trial or adoption stage including those in Germany, Austria, Finland, Norway, Poland and most recently Sweden. This number is expected to grow in coming months as the roll-out advances.
- Onboarding was crucial with a focus on the 2019 European Parliamentary Elections
- Some countries learned about the benefits of canvassing and carried out significant training on door to door outreach.
- Canvassing scripts were found to make the entire campaigning process more straightforward and results were seen immediately.
- The reception was very positive, especially given each country has it's own unique and traditional ways of campaigning. Bring uniformity to campaigning will strengthen the group in the long term.
Long Term Vision
In addition to leveraging Ecanvasser’s voter engagement toolkit, parties will be using the platform to help them boost their data protection compliance ahead of the coming into force of the pan-European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) directive on May 25th 2018.
The advantage of using a coordinated software system that can be managed by each data protection officer will alleviate any chance of error.
Overall, Ecanvasser will help improve communication across inter-party level. All this influence of digital technology will only improve the great work already done at grassroots level.